Insider spoke with CloudKitchens operators who mentioned Travis Kalanick’s startup bought them a dream — after which didn’t ship on it. Now, they’re leaving.
This publish first appeared in 10 Issues in Tech, a publication by Insider that brings you all the newest tech information & scoops — delivered every day to your inbox. Enroll right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Mother-and-pop restaurateurs are fleeing Travis Kalanick’s CloudKitchens. The corporate sells purchasers a dream, promising an area and facilities like nightly cleansing, advertising and gross sales recommendation, and tech integration with supply platforms together with DoorDash. However CloudKitchens operators advised Insider this pitch was a far cry from actuality.
- Some operators mentioned they felt misled by the corporate’s salespeople. In a criticism to the FTC, one former operator wrote that they used the final of their financial savings on CloudKitchens, and the corporate “gave me excuse after excuse, lies after lies.”
- Different operators additionally advised Insider they’d misplaced their financial savings attempting to function profitable companies inside CloudKitchens’ areas. One mentioned he contemplated suicide after he could not get his deposit again.
- “We have now fought and crawled and scraped,” one restaurant proprietor advised Insider. “We got here in there with a dream for our model, and CloudKitchens tried to destroy it.”
Learn the total report right here.
In different information:
2. Elon Musk simply subpoenaed former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey. As Musk prepares to battle the social media firm in courtroom later this 12 months, he is drawn Dorsey into the $44 billion debacle. Why Musk subpoenaed certainly one of his longtime pals.
3. Gen Z girls are flocking to Geneva, an app that mixes the most effective elements of the web. The app lets individuals create “properties,” the place they’ll chat or livestream with others who share their pursuits, and is changing into widespread amongst creators and types to construct personal and private on-line communities. Influencers share why they’re utilizing Geneva.
4. Subsequent month, MoviePass returns. Come Labor Day, the movie show ticket subscription startup will relaunch in beta type with pricing starting from $10 to $30 a month. The waitlist opens on Thursday — get the total rundown right here.
5. Regardless of job cuts all through the trade, some software program firms are nonetheless hiring. A brand new examine recognized a number of corporations which can be doing higher than they have been at first of the 12 months. From Gitlab to Asana, here is which firms have probably the most openings.
6. Apple’s DIY restore program will now cowl MacBooks. Beginning right now, clients can purchase the elements and instruments to repair MacBook Air and MacBook Professional computer systems with M1 chips. What to find out about repairing your personal Apple machine.
7. TikTok is like crack cocaine, in keeping with prime Wall Avenue analysts. The brief type video app delivers “endorphin hit after hit with every swipe,” the analysts mentioned, making a “digital crack epidemic.” Here is why they suppose TikTok might smash the web.
8. Twitter threatened to revoke Bot Sentinel’s knowledge entry. Since 2018, Bot Sentinel has been monitoring Twitter for accounts that could be dangerous or fakes. However after the founder advised Twitter has greater than 5% “bots” — a significant sticking level in its authorized battle with Musk — the corporate is contemplating revoking its entry to knowledge.
Odds and ends:
9. A brand new “air practice” in China runs utilizing an overhead magnetic observe. The practice can function with out energy, gliding via the air with out ever making contact with the observe above it — and there is no rail beneath it. Check out the progressive new practice.
10. These seven Zoom options could make your life simpler. Zoom provides numerous useful options — like placing everybody in the identical room with “immersive view,” and utilizing a vanishing pen to attract on shared screens. Listed here are probably the most helpful methods for getting probably the most out of Zoom.
What we’re watching right now:
Maintain up to date with the newest tech information all through your day by trying out The Refresh from Insider, a dynamic audio information temporary from the Insider newsroom. Hear right here.